No one thinks much about a roof until it breaks down, but in a large-scale commercial setting, preventing roofing issues is something that requires the diligent attention of property owners and facility managers. Local roofing contractor JAM Roofing shares five of the most common culprits behind commercial roofing damage.
1. Wind – Incorrectly installed or maintained roofing products can be damaged by wind. Wind pressure combined with interior air pressure from badly constructed flashing can create wind uplift. This, in turn, can harm the roof’s joints and membranes if not repaired right away. High winds can also blow off vents and other penetrations, allowing water into the substrate.
2. Flashing Issues – Most cases of commercial roofing leaks are a result of faulty or failing flashings. These are installed in vulnerable areas such as around vents and corners to minimize water intrusion. Proper inspections and repairs must be made to ensure the flashings remain intact.
3. Punctures – Routine maintenance can create foot traffic, which can then increase the likelihood of punctures. These scrapes and cuts open the commercial roof to leaks and, in some situations, result in warranties being voided. With expansion and contraction in mind, a trusted roofing company can adequately seal punctures.
4. Standing Water – Standing water on the roof, either due to clogged drains or poor construction, can damage materials and potentially create leaks. Standing water might be caused by a wide variety of problems, including improper sloping and certain blockages along the roof’s drainage system.
5. Poor Maintenance Practices – A commercial roof, like a residential roof, needs to be maintained on a regular basis to ensure optimal performance. Neglecting maintenance causes a lot of issues, which is why taking a proactive approach allows you to get the most out of your roof.
JAM Roofing is a trusted local roofing contractor servicing homeowners and businesses throughout Oregon, including those in the areas of Medford and Grants Pass. To discuss your roofing needs, give us a call at (541) 256-3703 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free appointment.